FAITH TO ENTER GOD’S PROMISES
A Leader needs courage
Jerry A Collins
Why do we need courage in our walk with God?
What is it that makes a leader a leader?
How can I develop courage as a leader?
The Tsunami has been a major trajedy but there have been many courageous acts. Mano sent an email of a story he titled crazy faith: Pastor
a church in the slums of the
1. COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP IS A PRODUCT OF DISCIPLESHIP
Joshua’s leadership was a product of the discipleship of Moses. Discipleship for reproduction was not commanded or developed in the Old Testament. It was introduced by John the Baptist and then Jesus. Jesus got his first two disciples from John and then he modeled it for us for 3 yrs, left the disciples this basic methodology in Mt 28:18. The apostles continued it and Timothy was told to reproduce it 2 Tim 2:2. It was commanded in one area in OT and that was parents to their children Deut 6. But no leader in OT was commanded to disciple other leaders. But we do see the powerful influence of disciple making both for good and evil. Of evil kings, it says they followed in the ways of their evil predecessors—their father and grandfathers. Of good kings it usually says they followed ways of David. So we see in OT the process and product of discipleship but no command. But Joshua’s whole ministry is based on leadership of Moses. (1) Joshua led victory over Amelikites which God directed thru Moses Ex 17:8-16 (2) Josh went up mountain with Moses Ex 24:13 (3) Josh was attendant of Moses from his youth Num 11:28 (4) Josh was among 12 spies Moses sent out Num 13 (5) Josh was commissioned for service to assist Moses Num 27:18-23 (6) Josh called to replace Moses Deut 31:23 And now in Josh 1 God says ‘I will be with you just as I have been with Moses’ and ‘be careful to do all the law which I commanded Moses. Point is you are more likely to be a godly leader if you have a godly mentor who has discipled you. And you will probably not pass on the godliness you know unless you take the time to disciple someone. There is no evidence that leading, preaching, teaching, counseling, pasturing will produce spiritual leadership for the next generation. Evidence is all in favor of the one who disciples a few good people.
2. COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP COMES FROM HUMILITY
Three times God gave Joshua the
command to be string and courageous. This command is based on God’s promise to Abe to bring Israelites into
3. COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP CONNECTED TO KNOWING GOD THRU THE WORD OF GOD
Joshua’s success was inseparably connected to his knowledge of and
obedience to the written Word of God—in
this case the Law of Moses. Read vss 7-8. Our job
then is to know God. Jesus told us that this eternal life Jn
17:3. Psa 103:7 says ‘he
made known His ways to Moses, His acts to the sons of
4. COURAGEOUS LEADERSHIP IS CLEAR AND DECISIVE
Josh commanded the officers in vs 10 (1) Josh acted quickly—the
people did not have to wait after Moses’
death to see who would lead. (2) He acted decisively. He gave clear purpose and
direction. (3) He acted with efficiently by using leaders whom Moses had
selected (Deut ) to prepare the
people to cross the
1. I should not expect to be a leader or train a leader quickly. Josh was 40 yrs in training. He was 80 when he took command.
2. I should expect my leadership and that of others to be greatly influenced by the leadership of others.
3. God keeps His promises no matter what we do. We are to perform our responsibilities no matter what God is doing. He will use you if He wants to, but your responsibility is to be obedient.
4. We are to be strong and courageous not in our own strength and courage but in God’s Word. The Bible does not say that we should not increase our skill level but if I begin to trust myself instead of God then you are just in the way so I’ll step on you so I can get what I want.
5. We must be clear and decisive like God is. Its disease of American church—the trumpets in pulpits and classrooms and bookstores and tv calls no one to battle. They make such vague sound that anyone can follow—don’t offend people. If you make distinct sound your ministry will be like Jesus and Paul—most people will leave you.