DEAL WITH SIN OR GOD WILL DEAL WITH YOU
From Compromise to Corruption
JERRY A COLLINS
Ø Why do we not drive out the enemy?
Ø What is the process of deterioration into sin?
Ø How does idolatry work today?
is it that believers, like unbelievers, can feel so comfortable in their sin. Both groups have the same problem. They feel
comfortable praying to God, for instance, because they have changed the
definition of God creating a god of their own. This God accommodates their sin
and tolerates them. There is no fear of the idolatrous
god they have created. This god hopes they can concoct a way to erase the
consequences of their sin so that it looks nothing like sin. Our responsibility
is to show our disciples that this god is not the God of the Bible. We are not
all worshipping the same god. Actually, I must love God and fear God. Instead
of god giving us a ‘get out of jail free’ card, God is like a fire on a cold
night. You want to get close, but the closer you get, the more you realize your
need to fear! Otherwise your compromise can then lead to corruption. We will
learn that when you create your definition of change the definition of God,
then you will find more freedom to pursue your sinful ways just like
DETERIORATION INTO SIN IS USUALLY GRADUAL 1-5
1. The Angel of the Lord appears:
Twice the angel of Lord is mentioned. This is one of three appearances of this person in the book of Judges (-18; 13:3-23). Most likely, this is a pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus Christ. Jesus is visible and in bodily form—much like angels do too—a divine manifestation. The statements are 1st person and no angel would make these claims. These appearances were also to Moses and Joshua.
This angel come from Gilgal
to Bochim. From the place where
they had first camped in the land after crossing the
2. The people weep but do not repent: The people did weep which is why it was called ‘Bochim’ which means weepers. They made a sacrifice there as well. There was no permanent turning away from idolatry even after this gesture. They went through the religious motions it seems without a true expression of faith. So what?
1. When God’s enemies become your friends they are a greater danger because they influence us to evil. Then what happens is God becomes our enemy. Have the right kind of enemies. Really, this is the message of Judges—when you model God’s enemies, God becomes your enemy. When you repent, God becomes your friend.
2. Without a plan and an effort to discipleship, the people will always tolerate sin. Good does not happen by itself. Evil does. While Moses discipled Joshua leaving him in charge, there is noone discipled by Joshua in charge after Joshua is gone. Our goodness must be passed down and passed on.
Israel forgot that this was God’s land and they were too purge it from pagan
idolatry and altars in the same way we tend to forget that our bodies are the
temple of the Holy Spirit and we are to purge them from the influence of the
world’s gods. We are on the same quest as
Eventually we deteriorate into sinful habits as we ignore God, His commands,
His heart, His will for us just as
CORRUPTION RESULTS FROM ATTRACTION TO RELIGION OF THE WORLD 6-23
1. Remember Joshua 6-10
This next section is a flashback in time back to Joshua’s funeral. In his day the people ‘served the Lord’ vs 7. The emphasis is on two generations—the one that had seen the exploits of God in Joshua’s day vs 7 and the other generation later who did not know the Lord nor his exploits vs 10. The 1st generation died in the wilderness. The next is their children who entered the land. This 3rd group is ignorant of all that. The result is their doing evil in God’s site serving the Baal’s vs 11. This ignorance would set in motion sinful cycles leading to a downward spiral of rebellion, disobedience, and judgment. If you do not know the Lord nor the ways of the Lord the world’s wisdom is attractive.
2. Their sin reaps corruption 11-23
their forsaking God was in the manner of serving the Baals,
following other gods, bowing down in allegiance to them 11-13. The gods of the
people around them were attractive. Their disobedience was result of
ignorance—not knowing God or His work. Know good theology and that starts with
knowing who God is and what He does. This is same situation of church today.
Second, Gods anger burns and