FAITH TO ENTER GOD’S PROMISES
Everyone Should be Dedicated to God
Jerry A Collins
What is the significance of circumcision?
reproach was rolled away when
Who is the Captain of the Lord of Hosts?
Last nite we went through a daily ritual—the same one you go thru—we washed our dirty dishes. Almost everyday we end up with a loaded dishwasher that we use to clean the dishes of the day. It also usually includes several larger dishes that we wash by hand in the sink. We do this because we want to have clean dishes to use the next time. We would never consider using the same dirty dishes again until they were cleaned. Just like our dishes there are regular intervals in our lives when we too need cleansing. Where we understand the need to consecrate ourselves and clean up an area or two of our lives and renew our commitment to walk in the Spirit. To set aside a sin or to remember a promise or to confess and change course in our lives. Under Joshua’s leadership, with miraculous intervention, a beachhead was established at Gilgal (). And from every vantage point it was time to strike immediately. The morale of enemy has collapsed in face of recent news of Israelites. And as it spread so did the fear. But God’s plan included some unfinished business that was spiritual in nature. Consecration, commitment, dedication, renewal would prepare the people for the conquest at hand. Without this preparation there could be no victory. The preparation is four-fold in nature.
1. RENEWED COMMITMENT TO GOD THRU CIRCUMCISION 1-9
This rite was to be renewed amongst the people.
Enemy fears God’s people 1 When
the news spread of
2. CELEBRATING THE PASSOVER 10 The nation
3. DEPENDING UPON FRUIT OF THE LAND 11-12
That day they ate from the produce of the land and the manna ceased. It was time to depend on the land not on God’s miraculous intervention. Both were God providing for their needs. But now it would come from harvest of land and they will have to fite the enemy. In the spiritual life God may remove a temptation for a baby xian. But that is not way it will always be. Removing all temptations is never way to become spiritually mature. There comes time when the manna ends and you need to deal with the land, the life situation you are in. Most of your temptations will never go away.
4. GOD IS IN CHARGE 13-15
Seeing man with sword Josh asks and man answers. Josh bowing and removing sandals indicates holy person. Throughout biblical history a person appears who is not God the Father (because one cannot see Him without dying Ex 33:20). Neither is this person an angel because he is called Lord and is worshipped and good angels do not receive worship (; 22:8). This person is preincarnate Christ and the reason people saw God and lived when should have died was because they were seeing God the Son, not God the Father and it is the Son who came to declare the Father (Jn 1:18) to us.
(1) Expect God to prepare the hearts of the people to respond to His messengers (5:1). That does not mean it will go smoothly or easily or without conflict as seen in Paul’s teaching and rejections in synagogue in Acts 18 & 28.
(2) Obey God no matter how vulnerable it makes you or untimely it seems to you (5:2-3). When God has clearly spoken in His Word then following God may sometimes seem irrational or illogical but Jesus said those who love Him obey Him.
(3) God does not forget His Word just because we forget it. Circumcision was ignored for 430 yrs but God remembered. The gospel, literal following of Bible ignored by eastern & western church for over 1000 yrs before Reformation began to look at it again. But God did not forget (5:4-8).
(4) Worship places change from time to time but is carried out according to guidelines specified for age we live in (5:9-10). For church age, defined by presenting out bodies as living holy sacrifice. It has to do with what we physically do all day long during this life here on earth and confessing sin.
(5) God may provide an unusual deliverance from your sinful habits, practices or the consequences of them but the normal xian life is not manna in the wilderness (miraculous deliverance) but eating the fruit of the life situation you are in—like taking up your cross (your life situation) daily and following Him. Don’t let a day go by. Sometimes God may deliver us from our situation like he did with Noah and often will deliver us thru it like Job. We must live thru and in our situation in a godly way, not look for escape from it (-12).
(6) Understand it is God who is in charge of His forces. We just work here and follow Him (-15).