In Hebrews, the key word is better, or superior. Why then bother with Old Testament?
II Timothy 3:16. Main reason: TO KNOW MORE ABOUT CHRIST
1. Goal of the Christian life is to become more like Christ.
2. We do that by imitating His actions and those of others who were like Christ.
3. We need to thoroughly know the person we are trying to imitate.
4. We know more about Christ by studying not only the New Testament, but the Old.
CHRIST'S PRESENCE WAS RECORDED IN THE OLD TESTAMENT.
1. Jesus said so. Luke 25: 25-27, 32, 44-47; John 5: 39 and 46, and 7:38; Luke 4: 18-21
2. Other people in the New Testament understood Christ was in the Old Testament.
Luke 3:15; Acts 17:11; Acts 8: 30-34; John 1:45; John 2:22; John 7: 42; John 19: 24 and 28; Acts 18:28; I Corinthians 15: 3-4.
WHERE EXACTLY IS CHRIST TALKED ABOUT IN THE OLD TESTAMENT?
1. The most obvious references to Christ are in prophecies. Here are three examples:
HIS BIRTH: (Micah 5:2) (Isaiah 7:14) (Matthew 1:22.23)
HIS DEATH: (Psalm 22:16,17) (Psalm 22:18)
HIS RESURRECTION: (Psalm 16:10,11) (Acts 2:29-32)
ALL THE PROPHETS WERE LOOKING TO FUTURE EVENTS : BUT CHRIST WAS ALSO PRESENT IN THE VERY EVENTS of THE OLD TESTAMENT (OT).
HE WAS THERE starting with the story of creation. John 1: 1-3
I Corinthians 10: 1-4; Christ was with the children of Israel in the wilderness.
Hebrews 11: 24-26; Moses gave up the pleasures of this life, FOR CHRIST.
CHRIST WAS IN THE OT. SO ALSO WAS THE GOSPEL. Hebrews 4: 2&6.
John 1:14: this is not the first time that human beings saw Christ's glory.
SIX WAYS, IN ADDITION TO PROPHECY, THAT CHRIST WAS SEEN IN THE OLD TESTAMENT, SOME DIRECTLY, SOME VERY SYMBOLICALLY.
1. WE SEE CHRIST IN THE OLD TESTAMENT IN THE APPEARANCES OF THE ANGEL OF THE LORD. From dozens of examples, a few:
a. to Hagar Genesis 16:7 and 13
b. to Abraham Genesis 22:15-18
c. to Moses in the burning bush: Exodus 3: 2-6
d. to the Israelites: Judges 2:1
e. to Samson's parents: Judges 13: 3, 6, 15-24
These appearances are God the Son: First, the appearances of the Angel of the LORD ceased; second, the Angel of the LORD claims one of the names of Christ "wonderful" ("beyond understanding") Judges 13:18; thirdly, appearances of the Angel of the LORD are manifestations of God, always the Son's role (John 14: 8-9).
2. WE SEE CHRIST ALSO IN THE OT IN HUMAN FORM. to Adam (Gen.3:8); to Abraham (Gen. 18: 1-2, 9-10, 16-19, 22); as Melchizedek (Gen. 14:18); to Jacob (Gen. 32:24); to Moses (Ex. 24: 9-11); to King Nebuchadnezzar (Dan3: 19-25) (and others).
SUMMARY: CHRIST APPEARED TWO THOUSAND YEARS AGO WHEN JESUS WALKED THE EARTH, BUT THIS WAS NOT THE FIRST TIME THAT CHRIST REVEALED HIMSELF; TODAY: CHRIST MAY BE SEEN IN THE CHURCH, IN BELIEVERS WHO ARE HIS BODY. to be continued next week