WHY THE RESURRECTION IS SIGNIFICANT
Jerry A Collins
v What is the resurrection we celebrate?
v How does the resurrection make a difference?
v What benefits does the resurrection give us?
An incident occurred in the early
1920s when Communist leader Nikolai Bukharin was sent from
1. RESURRECTION VALIDATES JESUS WAS THE SON OF GOD Christ’s resurrection proves He was from God and spoke the truth--He is the way, the truth and the life. The resurrection proves Jesus was unique, one of a kind, and it marks Him out and authenticates Him as God’s Son. Romans 1:4 who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord. In Romans 1:4 Paul shows that the resurrection is the final and convincing proof that Jesus was the Son of God. Please note here that Paul’s subject is the gospel, the good news, of God. The Resurrection proves this.
2. It is the basis of our sanctification & victory over sin Because He is risen, we can walk in newness of life. His resurrection proved He has conquered sin and Satan and released us from the domination of sin. Romans 6:4 Therefore, we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. A parallel passage to these verses (6:4b; 5b; and 8b) is Colossians 3:1, “If you then are risen with Christ . . . .” By identifying with Christ in faith the believer not only died to sin but has been raised to a new life. With regeneration a divine operation takes place that brings enormous changes. With faith in Jesus Christ the believer receives the Holy Spirit, that is, a new life in Christ. So the idea of being raised with Christ focuses on a divine provision that enables the believer to live on a higher plane, to walk in the newness of life. Ultimately, death and sin can have no power. Paul carries his symbolic wording then to the resurrection--Christ did not just die, he rose again and lives forever; and we who died in Christ by faith, now have risen to a new life, the spiritual life, which is eternal. We cannot go back to the old ways if we have risen to a new life.
3. apart from Christ’s
resurrection, we would have no hope If
Christ is not risen from the dead, the long course of God’s redemptive acts to
save his people ends in a dead-end street, in a tomb. If the resurrection of
Christ is not reality, then we have no assurance that God is the living
God, for death has the last word. Faith is futile because the object of that
faith has not vindicated himself as the Lord of life. Christian faith is then
incarcerated in the tomb along with the final and highest self-revelation of
God in Christ--if Christ is indeed dead. 1 Corinthians 15:13-14, 17 But if there is no resurrection of the
dead, then not even Christ has been raised and if Christ has not been raised
then our preaching is in vain, your
faith also is vain…..and if Christ has not been raised your faith is worthless;
you are still in your sins. If
Christ was not raised from the dead, then
the gospel, outlined in verses 1-11, is false. The resurrection of our Lord was
proclaimed by Paul and the apostles as one of the foundational truths of the
gospel. Further, since the apostles preached Christ crucified, buried, and raised again from the dead, their ministry would be vain if
Christ did not actually rise from the grave (verse 14). It would be vain in the
sense that these men risked their lives and made monumental sacrifices for a
message that was false and which had no saving power. Both the message of the
apostles and their ministry would be rendered useless if the proclamation of
our Lord’s resurrection were proven false. Not only would the apostles’
preaching topple if the resurrection of Christ had not occurred, but the faith
of those who believed their message would also be undermined. If Christ was not
raised from the dead, then His death on
4. His resurrection is the basis
1. Jesus Christ is only religious figure to be raised from the dead making Him Son of God and only source of life eternal.
2. You are absolutely powerless to overcome sin in your life without resurrection power Christ supplies in HS.
3. There is no hope for anyone when they die without salvation Christ’s supplies.
4. All who believe have assurance and promise of eternal life in Christ alone.