Judging Sinful Acts
Jerry A Collins
Why should we judge one another?
What method of discipline is biblical?
Should we ever practice discipline of unbelievers?
I have had some concerns about
the church, especially in
1. TOLERANCE OF BLATANT SIN IS AN ACT OF ARROGANT INDIFFERENCE 1-2
There was some common information
available about immorality among the believers in
2. JUDGING BELIEVERS IS ESSENTIAL FOR PURITY 3-8
(1) Necessary for sinner 3-5 Interesting that Paul had already made this decisions and did not need to do so in an organizational way but in a personal way vs 3. The judgment was done not on basis of motive but on basis of actions. So we should judge actions but not motives. Believers who know this person and relate with this person should decide together to discipline vs 4. So,iIt is a group thing not just an individual thing even tho it may initiated by an individual. The discipline is allowing the sin to take it’s course and/or Satan to have his way in this persons life. It is letting the sinner have his way along with the consequences. It puts this believer back on his own into the world, apart from the care and support of xian friendship. By his lack of repentance, he has forfeited rite to participation as a believer. Hymenaous & Alexander were delivered over to Satan who had suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith…so that they may be taught not to blaspheme 1 Tim 1:19-20. This may include personal affliction or even physical death as warned about in James 5:19-20. If this one is a believer his spirit belongs to Christ and he will be delivered on day of Christ’s judgment vs 5b. However, while on earth, he may suffer greatly physically or in other ways at will of Satan. We can’t know when, what or how this may happen but we know it will. That is God’s business. Ours is to make proper judgment and discipline.
(2) Essential for xian fellowship 6-8 Discipline may be severe because the consequences of not doing so are much worse. Sin like malignancy will not stay isolated very long. So arrogant indifference is never good vs 6—because it does not deal with the problem and jeopardizes purity. Compared to yeast, this sin will eventually consume others in it’s path and the impact and consequences will multiply. Every sin I commit, every curse I give, every rage I display, hurts the church. So the remedy in vs 7 is to purge it thoroughly. To remove it’s influence! It will only corrupt and contaminate others. This kind of judgment and discipline is consistent with our new standing in righteousness accomplished by Christ’s sacrificial death vs 7. The old lump is one of mailice producing wickedness. Our new position means making a clean break from our past in way we live our lives. We are part of this new batch. We are new creatures. And in vs 8 this is cause for great celebration. For xian everyday is Easter, everyday is xmas. This should be put on display sincerely and in truthfulness. So put away the indifference and pursue the purity of a sincere and truthful life and fellowship. Don’t tolerate sin in the camp. Don’t allow yourself to associate with believers who are cavalier about sin. And protect fellow believers from them.
3. BE CAREFUL NOT TO APPLY DISCIPLINE TO UNBELIEVERS
Here is a footnote in 9-13. We are to judge the sin of believers not the world. It is not making the world a better place but the church a holy people. First, don’t get me wrong, you have to live in the real world vs. 10. It is impossible to not associate with unbelievers. You would have to leave the planet! Sin in the world is not as dangerous as sin among believers. Second, we cannot know who is and is not a true believer but discipline is administered to any professing to be so vs 11. The list of sins to judge and discipline is extended here in case anyone thot it was just sexual sin. Our removal from them includes intimate things like going out to eat! Third, we must never judge unbelievers but give them the gospel vs 12. Never have a smug, superior attitude to outsiders. We have no rite to expect xian living from those who are not and every rite from those who are. Fourth, at great white throne God will judge them. For us, we must not associate with unrepentant xians. If no consequences to our sinful unrepentant behavior, why pursue godliness at all? Purity in the church. Penetration into the world.
(1) We discipline not because we do not want to associate but because we do. To motivate them to get on rite track.
(2) The point is that they would understand they have a problem with God. The sin is an offense and will bring consequences.
(3) We cannot bring about sanctification of others but responsible to not hinder it.