DARE TO BE A DANIEL
Motivated to Pray
Jerry A Collins
How is prayer relevant in our relationship with God?
Is confession of sin and repentance important in prayer?
What is God’s future plan for His people?
Have you ever been motivated to
pray? This past week we heard about Jamie and Aaron’s car accident and immediately we were motivated to pray. In
Bible class this week I asked the students if they had any requests for prayer.
One student mentioned being on a retreat the past weekend and a 13 year old
girl was there who was pregnant. We prayed. 9/11 motivated us to pray. We just
received the wonderful news that a we will become a
great uncle and aunt this next year. Motivated to pray for
health and birth. Daniel was motivated to pray as well. Specifically we
are informed in Daniel 9 that his prayer was result of an observation he made
from one of Jeremiah’s prophecies (Jer 25:1-14). There Jeremiah warned the Jews for years that
God’s judgment was coming in form of
Babylonian captivity. The length would be 70 yrs and then the captivity would
1-3 These events occur during 1st yr of Darius meaning Belshazzar has died, Babylonian empire ended, Medo-Persian empire arrived. So the period of divine judgment has ended and time of Jews returning to the land is drawing near. Now Daniel could pray for his people and motivated to do so he devotes himself to this task!
1. UNDERSTANDING GOD AND HIS WORD MOTIVATES PRAYER
What lies behind Daniel’s usefulness to God was his praying. What lies behind his motivation for praying is Daniel’s knowledge of God and His Word. We see this in his prayer and one that we can emulate. First he prays a prayer of confession before the Lord 4-15.
(1) Daniel’s posture before God was humility. His praying was accompanied
by fasting, sackcloth and ashes. (2) His prayers were expressions of
confessions of sin and repentance 4-11, 14-15.
(1) His petition was consistent
with promises of God 16. He understood the 70yrs captivity had been fulfilled
(2) His petition is a request for God to act in His own best interests and name 17-19. Thy sake, Thy name, Thy name. It is not a petition for God to act in our best interests or best meets our needs but rather in His name and for His name. Our weakness in prayer is a weakness of knowing who God is. When God acts in His own interests, that always serves our best interests.
(3) His petition is for God’s grace, mercy and compassion. There can be no restoration unless there is forgiveness. Sinful persons cannot ask for anything but grace and mercy! This prayer is not made on basis of any merit of his or his people for an answer. He did not claim anything but he pleaded for mercy.
(4) He makes a strong repeated appeal for God to respond based on what God said He would do in His Word. We can expect God to answer when He has given us promises He said He would answer.
So effective prayers are Bible-centered prayers motivated by the knowledge of God.
2. GOD GIVES INSIGHT INTO HIS FUTURE PLANS IN RESPONSE TO PRAYER
The prophetic information we now have available is in response to the prayers of Daniel. We can peer into the future because Daniel prayed. We may have very little idea of how our prayers will effect the future but Daniel’s illustrates that they can and they do.
have an appearance by Gabriel. He interrupted Daniel’s praying with an answer. This is second time he appears in
Daniel. Here he comes to give insight with understanding of the vision. No new
vision is here in Chp 9 so 12 yrs later, Daniel
receives further clarification about the vision he received in Chp 8. In he
did not understand it but now receives the insight he was praying 12 yrs. (ALL
FUTURE) 24-27 (1) 70 weeks decreed
meaning 70 periods of 7 or 490 yrs. Daniel been considering Jer
25:11 & 29:10 regarding 70 yr captivity. This captivity result of violating
sabbatical year which was to be observed every 6 yrs (2 Chr
36:21). Each year of captivity represented one 7 yr cycle in which the 7th
or Sabbath yr had not been observed. So clear its yrs not days. So he saw 490
(2) 6 purposes for these 490 yrs.
(4) Messiah is cut off after 69th week leaving one more period of 7 left yet to be fulfilled. This is Christ’s crucifixion and He is rejected with no kingdom 26a. 7 yrs still left.
(5) The Romans, same people of Anti-Christ of revived Roman empire in future, will destroy this temple and city 70ad 26b and only further wars and desolations for the Jews to follow this.
(6) Covenant confirmed for 7 yrs of 70th 7 but broken in middle. In last half of the 7 terrible persecution (Mt 24-25, Rev 4-19, ). Yet future.
So Daniel like a man who climbed mountain only to view a larger one further in the distance. God’s horizon much further, much more encompassing than just 70 yrs. God’s plan much bigger than just physical Jerusalem on a much broader scale 490 yrs and more!
1. Present circumstances often appear to contradict God’s promises for the future. We must peer into our circumstances with an eye of faith.
2. Prayer is our responsibility. Answers to our prayers is God’s responsibility. Like Daniel let’s fulfill our responsibility and pray about everything and everyday.
Since God’s plan for the future includes the land and nation of