IF Jesus ASKED YOU
What is Your Name?
SCC 11/6/11 Luke 8:26-39
1. Jesus encounters a demon-possessed man 26-27
The occasion for the exorcism is the landing onshore after the storm.
But (shift) when Jesus lands he encounters a certain demon possessed man.
And this man had no clothing on (he was naked)
and is not living in a house
BUT living in the tombs. (Transition to a new thot)
2. The demon possessed man requests not to be tormented 28-29
But (shift) seeing Jesus the man cries out and falls down and asks a question and makes a request. And says in a loud voice,
Question: What do I have to do with you, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?
Request: I beg You, do not torment me.
The reason for this question and request is Jesus has been commanding the spirit to leave.
The reason for asking the spirit to leave is because the demon seized the man many times.
and he was kept in chains and shackles
and kept under guard
and would break shackles and be driven to desert by the demon.
3. The demons request permission to enter swine 30-33
But (shift) Jesus asked him a question, ‘What is your name’?
Legion, because many demons had entered him.
And the demons were imploring him,
The purpose for imploring Jesus was in order that He not command them into the abyss.
(2 Peter 2:4: For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but threw them into hell and locked them up in chains in utter darkness, to be kept until the judgment.)
But (shift) there was a herd of swine
and they implored him
The purpose for imploring Jesus was in order that Jesus permits them to enter the swine
and he permitted them. (Jesus listened to demons and even Satan but would not be tempted)
But the demons came out of the man and entered into the swine
and they rushed the herd down the mountain and into the lake
and they were drowned.
4. Herdsmen relate the incident and the people respond fearfully to the exorcism 34-37
But (shift) the herdsmen witnessed this and they fled
and reported it in the city
and reported it in the country.
But (shift) the people went out to see and verify the incident
and they came to Jesus
and they found the man seated at the feet of Jesus
and clothed and of sound mind
AND THEY WERE AFRAID!
But (shift) those witnessing the exorcism explained to the people what had happened.
and the people all around the area asked Jesus to leave
because they were gripped with great fear.
But (shift) Jesus entered the boat and left the area.
5. Jesus instructs the former demonic to witness of God’s great work 38-39
But (shift) the man was making an appeal to go with Jesus.
But (shift) Jesus told him return home and witness of Gods great work
and he went away proclaiming to entire city what Jesus had done.
1. Jesus kingdom is opposed by destructive spiritual forces determined to undermine the work of God.
2. People would rather heed the destructive nature of darkness than submit to life-giving ministry of Christ. John says that his own did not receive him. Jesus said men love darkness rather then light. Men who wish to persist in their sin do not welcome God’s arrival. Even in the Tribulation men will know it is God’s judgment but curse God and do not repent 16:8. Men’s hearts are continuously evil. God represents the highest possible threat to our sinful desires. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it
3. Faith in Christ is the only turn around. No matter what Satan may promise, the demoniac is a shocking demonstration of what he delivers. It is only when freed by the liberating power of Jesus Christ that a man can be what he wants to be, what he ought to be, fully human, fully forgiven, worshipping at
the feet of Jesus. Faith in Christ replaces an unholy fear of God.