DARE TO BE A DANIEL
Jerry A Collins
How distressful will the time of the end become?
What is to be the length of the time of the end?
What is to be the outcome of the time of the end?
We spend an awful lot of time
waiting and anticipating things to happen. We do this for the possible
promotion we may receive. We wait for an answer to our prayers. We are waiting
right now for the holidays to arrive. We are still waiting for the
(1) It is the time of the end between distress and deliverance vs 1. Let’s
look at the character of this period of time. First, with the presence of Michael, the time of
(2) It is the time of the end for the wise and the wicked vs 2-3. It is a contrast between those who have insight and those who are disgraced. Between those resurrected to everlasting life and reward and those resurrected to everlasting contempt. Many will lose their lives during these events but they are promised a reward in vs 3 that will be theirs forever and have them stand out as special in God’s everlasting kingdom. This may be referring to those killed during this unprecedented time of distress, the great tribulation just before Christ’s second coming. The resurrection of the church happens at the rapture 7 yrs before this (1 Thess 4:13-18; 1 Cor 15:50f). We also know of an eternal damnation judgment in -15 when everyone ever born not found in the book of life will be cast into everlasting contempt. There are only two alternatives. The Bible is consistent with this message. This has to be one of the clearest references in the Old Testament to everlasting life and resurrection. And it is still the message today. There is a separation here for sure. It begins in this life. The real issue is how did we respond to his message, the gospel? What it is you are going to be resurrected to? Glorification or judgment? Jesus said in John 5:28-29 that this would be so for an hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs shall hear his voice and shall come forth; those who did good to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil to a resurrection of judgment. The answer Jesus said in Jn is This is the work of God that you believe in Him whom he has sent! So it matters how you respond and what you believe.
(3) It is the time of the end between that which is hidden and that
which is revealed 4ff. First, Daniel
is to conceal the words and seal them up until the end times. This is the
opposite of what John was to do in Revelation 1:3 & . There the words are to be read and heard and
heeded for the time is near! So the idea of Daniel’s writing is that the time is not near. At John’s writing the time is near. So at the time
of Daniel the events of this great period of tribulation will not take place
during his age, the OT period. For John, this period of distress will take
place in his age, the period of the church age so there is no longer a need to
conceal and seal up this prophecy since it will now be fulfilled. These last
days will be characterized by a rapid increase in knowledge going here and
there to seek knowledge but the book of Daniel will prove to be a great value
to those living during this period for it gives insite
into the events taking place around them. Second, Daniel sees a figure clothed
in linen 5-6. One with this figure asks a question. What will be the length of
this period of
incredible distress? The answer is two-fold. It includes the duration of
time but also the purpose for the great tribulation. First, the time is stated
at a time, times and half a time vs 7. This is
generally understood to mean a period of three and a half years. This same
phrase was used in Dan and in
Dan -32 where it is used of
years. In a time, times
and half a time refers to the great tribulation equaling 1260 days in Rev 12:6
and the 42 months in Rev 11:2 al referring to the same period of time. This
final ruler will reign for 7 yrs, the 70th week in Dan 9:27, the 1st
half or 3 and a half yrs peaceful for
(1) God rules in affairs of men. Pilate was exasperated with Christ and defiantly said I have authority to release and crucify but Jesus told him his authority was only given to him from above Jn 19:10-11.
(2) God delegates his authority to angels, Satan people. God sets the parameters. Antichrists authority is given to him Rev 13
(3) God holds all responsible for the evil he lets them do.
(4) History will end according to God’s plan.
(5) We can rest on wisdom of God’s ways.